View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1037372)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This also has come up on the "ALMS at Sears Point Thread"

There are upsides and downsides to this new method...

But I'll hold off on my judgment until I see how it works, and if they continue it...

I would hate to see teams do what F-1 teams did at Silverstone last week to manipulate the qualifying system....

But the more that I think about it, a system like the one they will try could make qualifying more conducive to TV coverage (live or taped) and would give the teams and sponsors the visibility that could foster more sponsor participation...

Even if TV didn't cover it, as each car took to the track, the Radio ALMS announcers and the local track PA announcer would broadcast "Joe Driver in car number X, in the "Name of Sponsor" chassis and engine on "brand of tires" now begins his qualifying run"

and they would be following and announcing the times of each car that makes a run, as well as covering their laps for the crowd....

The awareness of the radio listenres and the crowd in attendance would be greatly increased...and thus would the sponsor recognition...

One American Open Wheel Series!