View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2870548)   #1339
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The rule books talks about "atmosphérique" vs "suralimenté", which can best be translated as "normally aspirated" vs "forced induction". So in theory you can use a turbocharger (exhaust gases driving the compressor), a supercharger (crankshaft driving the compressor) or both, irrespectively whether the fuel is petrol or diesel.

However, as you can read on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbodi...diesel_engines it does not make much sense to use a supercharger on a diesel engine. Superchargers take away power from the engine and are bad for fuel economy. A turbocharger almost come for free because you recover energy from the waste exhaust gases.
I was looking at that engine shot, and I was reminded of the early Ferrari F1 turbos, where they had a sort of turbo/supercharger hybrid, made my Brown Boveri, I think. It sort of used exhaust gas to pressurise intake, all through an engine driven vane structure. Anyway, it LOOKED like what's on that picture...
Also, folks may wish to Google "Commer TS3", for a very advanced design diesel with a supercharger. The last 4 engines were sold to Ford in Dearborn, for ceramic component evaluation... I know, I was there!