View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1005404)   #20
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
---"The Cam-am porsches were getting close to undrivable with 1000+bhp. In a hairpin aero has little or no effect, so you can imagine how hard it would be to put the power down. At the end of the day, drivability is the deciding factor.'___

I have heard this statement before, undrivable, good grief, the cars by standards and equipment of the time were uknown territoty. I had zilch to do with being undrivable (I have never heard, or read where a driver said that yet, except maybe Sam Posey. Compared to Sam Posey's Caldwell the Porshces were tame)
How hard it is, is irrelevant, they are pros and there job is to learn to drive it.
Back then AA/f dragsters had 5,000 less horsepower than they do now, but they are still driving them.
Back then cars were lapping Indy with bigger tires and wings at barely 200 mph, that is a long way from the 236 Cheever drove for lap after lap at Indy, during a race.

At the end of the day the ability of the driver is one of the deciding factors. The other is the quality of the car.

I agree that 2,000 hp is impractical, as the size of the tires needed to contain, would implement a drag and increased turning radius factor that would be a point of diminishing returns.
Bob

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 15 Jun 2004 at 23:29.