View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1005409)   #21
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view it would be contrived racing if the criteria for the restrictors would be: this car is racing too fast, let's put him in restrictors smaller than everyone else with same displacement and in the same class.

As it is, with rules equal for everyone, it's not contrived racing, and I don't see you point.

Now onto your remark about the old Ford and Lola, no one is taking away the glory from those cars. Look at all the excitment we had over the Group C cars. And even people like me, who were too young to follow this kind of racing even at the mid 90s or that simply discovered in recently, love the old cars and want to know all about them. This said, nothing prohibites us from enjoying the current crop of race cars.

Cars designs are pushed hard and fast today. The rules are different, but the essence is still the same: you give a set of rules and the engineers make the best car they can from it, the best car-drivers-team combination wins, it's as simple as that.

To finish with the safety issues you mentioned, the concern over safety has increased because so have the performances. Ask Martin Short how he feels about the mandatory safety rules. Perhaps without them he wouldn't be able to post in here today to share with us how he felt about the accident. And this is just one example.