View Single Post
Old 9 Apr 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3390611)   #9
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
That used to be advertised in the in the Exchange & Mart and it was all you needed so you didn't need to have all the expense of a reconditioned engine, I bet they made a small fortune !
And as for the "exhaust extractor" gizmo that you put on the end of the tail pipe
I well remember those, Gordon!

And also an item in one of those dreadful DIY car mags of the time, where a bloke wrote in and described how he had made a look-a-like exhaust extractor fora few pennies from scrap: an old small paint can (Humbrol?) a cheap tin funnel and a gash jubilee clip from his junk box.

Whereupon the MD of the outfit making the gizmo wrote in an amusing letter to the ed saying summat like:

"Dear Sir, whilst Mr Z has revealed our secret it must be remembered we suffer a huge cost and employ teams of men combing scrapheaps for discarded paint cans and jubilee clips and another team scouring ironmongers for cheap tin funnels!"

I also, as a young and naive tyro, persuaded an acquaintance, a metal basher, to make me an outsized Peco-type exhaust resonance chamber for my -Speedwell Blue - Austin A35.

It was a monster! How the exhaust pipe or the tailpipe mounting didn't break......

Parked up one day outside the late Bill Basson's place and he nicely asked me to move my heap further up the road as he didn't want serious punters to be put off by any association with Boy Racers!

Lovely man: lost most of an arm at Le Mans and his commodious workshop used to prep Ritchie Ginther's GP Porsche at the time and also serviced John Whitmoore's early Jag E Type amongst others.

Taught me quite a bit; in a very kindly and fatherly fashion.