Thread: Multi 21 Ricciardo vs Vettel 2014
View Single Post
Old 6 Sep 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3299958)   #15
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Maybe we're looking it the wrong way. Maybe they're giving him until mid season to threaten Vettel... and if hasn't by then, JEV will replace him. Maybe they'll use that second seat as a sort of senior testing benchmark for people who've proven themselves at STR to go on and see if they're not just good... but really great. Red Bull have been philanthropic, but they've also destroyed plenty of drivers careers while they were still very young.
There has been some analysis of this in Autosport and the RB engineers like DR and think highly of him.

I also think this is a mid/long term base cover for RBR. SV is well aware of F1 history and pedigree and I believe he will want to drive for Ferrari before he leaves F1, therefore DR is probably seen as the medium/long term future of RBR. If they had wanted to go for a known quantity they would have done a deal with KR, knowing it would be 1 or 2 years long.

The comparison with JEV and DR is a close call but DR has shaded it I believe and JEV has another TR year to show his value.

It's not beyond the bounds that DR and JEV both end up as RBR drivers or Felix of course...