View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2000, 02:07 (Ref:7245)   #5
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash Test,
I don't think you understand my idea, I am proposing an entirely new series, not a ratical change in the Winston Cup Series. I would not want the Cup Series to go "off shore", I would like to see it stay just as it is now, All-American. This has worked well enough to put Cup as the number one racing series in America. I see no need to tinker with success. If you will look, most Busch Series and Truck Series team owners do not run cars on the Cup Circut, With few exceptions, Childress, Roush, and Hendricks come to mind, most Cup owners don't compete in the other divisions. I think that most of the owners of my proposed series would limit themselves to it exclusively. You might find the occasional Cup or Busch owner, but they are usually too busy with their respective series to run much else. I would hope that owners from other countries would play a big part in it. As for sponsors, I'll agree with you, most U.S. sponsors have little intrest outside the U.S., but for those that do, it would be a good oppertinity to expand, as for international sponsors trying to get into U.S. markets, It would offer an outstanding oppertunity. NASCAR is mainstream America, far more so than cart will ever be. If a sponsor wants to expose his product to the American market, using auto racing as a promotional vehicle he'd be a fool to go to any series other than NASCAR. This is not a swipe at any other series, just the fact that in America, NASCAR is #1. Also, a stock car makes a much better "billboard" for advertisement, it is much larger, therefore, much more visible.