View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2011, 21:51 (Ref:3001003)   #161
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella you've pretty much hit the nail on the head regards transportation.

Shipping from Southern Europe to the Middle East is about 2 weeks I should think Malaysia is about a month. So everything will have to be Air Freighted after Barcelona. But when they did Bahrain in the early years everything went from Stansted. regardless of what Country your team was based in.
Even with airfreight the team haven't got a lot of time to prep the cars pack the flight cases and then get it to Stansted.

All freight is organised by DHL and paperwork isn't to bad, so not really necessary to employ extra people, the team should be pretty good at it and packing into flight cases after so many years of GP2 Asia.

The Asia series has always been a bit of a joke, and GP2 have always done all they can to force team to do it, even though most team weren't interested.
The first Asia Series they told team that if they signed up to their entry into the next 3 years of the Main Series would be look upon more favourably. Then of course Racing Engineering didn't jump to their tune, but still got a Main Series Entry, so the next time both entries were up for review they said the team had to do both series, probably because it was obvious that most teams would get out if they could as they had found it difficult to get driver to pay for the series. Finally after the Asia series just turned into extended test sessions with drivers swapping seat they joined both series together.

But the thing is not only have they got fly away's they've increased the races from 10 to 12 and the 4 extra races will probably cost more than the 8 European rounds. If they kept it to 10 with 2 fly away's and maybe with enough time to ship them then it would have been far better for the budgets.But maybe somebodys ego is getting in the way of good sense.