View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2658198)   #18
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris,

I've not forgotten you I promise! In fact I am looking at assorted issues of Rover Sport News as I type this. I don't have a scanner at home I'm afraid, so I'll take them into work and scan anything that I think would be of use to you.

In Issue #2 of the 'Rover Racing with Castrol' newsletter (mid 1991 sometime) there is a brief report which states that Ralph Peake has edged into a narrow lead after six rounds in the red Gillanders Rover supported car, a photo of which shows it as Reg No H406 GAC.

Rover Sport News Issue #1 Volume #1 (early 1991) shows the 216 GTi and Metro GTi on the front cover. The plain white Metro is also shown lapping what looks like Castle Combe in the hands of the late great (no question!) Tony Pond, Reg No G507 KUY.

Rover Sport News Issue #2 Volume #1 has a brief update of the series which includes a few photos. Malcolm Oxborrow is shown in a plain grey unliveried car, Reg No H407 GAC, a white Edwards of Stratford sponsored car (possibly Don Kettleborough), Reg No H58 TWP and a red Patons of Shifnal car which I think is driven by Lance Gilmour, Reg No H902 RNT or H902 PNT?

I'll leave it at that for the moment except to say that there are photos of other cars in subsequent issues with Reg Nos H482 CFD, 987 PMN, 6678 AD, GSK 956, H836 NOA, G979 RNH, H672 MOF, K57 UDD, G83 JOF, G703 KOB, and even a small photo of Chris Pope in H298 LOG!

For 1994 the Metro GTi Challenge seems to have been dropped by Rover as the Dunlop Rover Turbo Cup took over. They did continue with a Metro GTi Bonus Scheme, but there are no details or photos of any of the cars in anything from the start of 1994 onwards.

I'll certainly scann all the bits that I've mentioned and anything else that I find in the meantime. Sorry it's taken so long.