View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2306949)   #8
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok, I reckon that we may be the first to view this treasure trove of pictures for many, many, years, and it's great that cub has chosen to reveal them to 10-Tenths. I really think, cub, that you ought to tell us the name of the photographer and in what capacity, he took these wonderful pictures.

(Incidentally, I do know who cub himself is, since he has contacted me by PM and these pics could be the first of many, so I think that we are in for a real treat)
My father is the photographer. He was and remains an enthusiast for all motor sports. My mother worked in a photography shop and had access to early colour film and bought him a Voigtlander 120 format camera. They embarked on many, many adventures to various locations across Europe at a time when few people choose to drive around the continent for holidays. All of his slides are glass mounted but with rapidly deteriorating and very sticky taped edges.

My exercise now involves cutting the film out of the glass mounts, scanning and manipulating the result to produce a digital emulation of some truly fascinating material. I am then re-housing the originals film in some modern plastic folders. I am lucky that my Dad is still around to recall various facts about the people and places involved and sharing the results with a knowledgeable and appreciative community like 10-tenths would seem a good way to share the pleasure.

We are concious that publishing the pictures on a public forum makes them vulnerable to intellectual theft but on balance we feel that sharing some wonderful memories with an appreciative audience is worth the risk rather than leaving them to deteriorate in some dusty boxes.

I hope the mods will allow me to roll out results as and when I get the time to do the scanning and drip feed the threads as my Dad and I catalogue the results.

Just to prove this a family affair below is a picture taken at in front of the pits at Le Mans of my Mum with their Standard 8 in 1959 and another of my Mum and me at the Nurburgring in the early '70s.

Last edited by Cub; 8 Oct 2008 at 18:10.