View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2001, 07:04 (Ref:128794)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Your reputation precedes you. Delighted to have you aboard.

I used to have great faith in Laurence Pomeroy's definition of a sports car, as embodied by the annual VSCC Pomeroy Trophy, which incorporates a number of track tests funneled through a complicated index of performance based on engine capacity, accommodation, age and agility. It meant that a Hispano-Suiza could compete on a level playing field with a Shelby Cobra, for example.

This was until a 1973 Ford Cortina was entered for one year's event, and won it!

But tellingly, on paper at least, the index seems to favour the 1937 BMW 328 above all others. And that, for me, is not a bad definition to start off with.
Tim,

I thought the Pomeroy Trophy was to determine the best Touring Car. I recall Ron Gammons having to find a suitcase to fit into the back of an MGB, thus proving it was a touring car not a sportscar.