View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2610504)   #24
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Going back to the question of Tim Harvey's sponsors, note the presence of 'Sumo Giants' as a sponsor rather than 'Istel' at this early-season race.

I won't swear to this, but I've got a very vague memory that the story behind it was that Sumo Giants might have been a band- one of Tim's mates or someone connected to the TDR team being either a member of the band or their manager, and got their name on the car for a bit of publicity...
Anyone know any more- think there was a pic of the car in Autosport with a caption telling the story?
This should be Sumo Giants in the 1980s according to the info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzOadz-ocQ

Tried to look them up on the otherwise very usefull All Music Guide/AMG, but found nothing, so not a new Beatles, but at least Harvey and the band seems to have shared the hair-do!

I think Istel sponsored Tim Harvey during his 1986 Formula Ford days, which likely account for his Istel backing on the prod saloon Sierra in 1987 and makes perfect sence on the BTCC Vitesse.
The 1986 TT winning Vitesse of Jeff Allam and Denny Hulme actually carried Istel backing as well.

Jesper