View Single Post
Old 5 Nov 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1453021)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I take exception to that comment as well, AlMillion. As Robbie's manager, you have an interest in defending Robbie, if anyone attacks him, ands as Alex's father, I would tend to take the same view of Alex, although I suspect I can be a little more realistic.

However, I would be very interested to hear where you got the "Alex has shamed himself on TV" idea. He appears to me to have been very diplomatic in every sense. He might also accept the logic of sticking with Robbie, even though he may not personally agree with it. But your comment there is way off the mark, over-emotional and untrue.

You do know what's going on behind the scenes, as, to an extent, do I. You will know, therefore that Robbie didn't outperform the other 4 drivers in the shootout, and moreover, Alex and James Rossiter each did 20 laps only on the 2nd day, all posting the same times, despite Robbie having completed 60 laps the day before.

You will also know that the incorrect tyre pressure on one of the four qualifying laps was supposed to go no further. And to say it could be deliberate is plainly ridiculous. Your man is doing OK, I don't hear too many people having a go at him, and certainly not Alex. One of the things I rather admire about Alex is his ability to tell the truth, and not get involved in petty political wranglings. If Robbie's driving well - if any opponent is driving well - Alex both recognises it and says so. Same with technical feedback ... if the problem lies with him, he is able to recognise and admit to it instantly, and only by doing that can you truly go forward. Making excuses is a recipe for covering up essential truths, and if you do that, you won't achieve your potential.

Don't make excuses for Robbie. The team are clearly desperate to give him all the time in the car that he needs, so it is ridiculous that you suggest they are trying to demotivate him. Nothing could be further from the truth. At Estoril, when it was formally announced that Alex would get to shake down the 2nd car in one or bnoth of the extra test sessions, Alex was suited, helmetted and ready to climb in, only to be told that, as it was raining, the team wanted to give Robbie every chance to get as much time in any car, so Robbie would do the extra tests instead.

I don't recall Alex mentioning that, do you? And it certainly isn't indicative of a team that is trying to demoralise Robbie. The team have done a great job so far, and certainly got us our one podium. They aren't ever going to be completely happy until TeamGB stand on the top step through merit, and we aren't quick enough yet.

As most people tend to agree, it is a combination of driver/engineer that get the best out of these cars, and thus far we haven't set the pace. However, I don't think anyone's pointed the finger at Robbie, nor said that the team aren't giving him a real chance to perform to the level he can. Robbie is doing his best, and Arden are doing their best. So stop trying to defend Robbie by attacking everyone else. Robbie doesn't need defending, he's doing OK, and should continue to get quicker. If he doesn't, then is the time to roll out the fabled drivers' excuse book. But stop rubbishing everyone else, it's wrong, it's very irritating, and you aren't doing your man any favours.