Thread: Mini & Beetle
View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2001, 20:48 (Ref:71762)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmnn... Old design, new car. High price, new technology.

So it's nostalgia they want...

I can't speak for beetles, but I've been restoring original Minis for years. I think a new Mini will set you back about Ten Grand. For that, I could buy an old wreck of a Cooper 'S' - the original 'Car for the Boys' (John Cooper) - and restore it fully.
By that I mean, a BRAND NEW bodyshell from Rover Heritage, a new engine and gearbox, all the chrome trim and interior bits you could ever want and still have enough cash left to insure it for five years.
They still get 40 - 50 mpg at 60mph, so don't beat your gums about the environment. the new engine will be suitably modified to run on SuperPlus Unleaded, and you've saved the planet the hassle of coughing up the raw materials to produce the new (*shudder*) BMW version, which you could lose in a crowd and nobody would look twice at.
When I had my white Cooper, (pictures on my website ) I couldn't go anywhere without people stopping, staring and asking questions. And if you want a new 'old' car to make a statement, why not do the right thing and get yourself the original.

I would imagine the same could be said for the beetle, although they are really, really nasty cars to drive.

Last edited by Sparky; 16 Mar 2001 at 20:51.