View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1847863)   #20
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a monstrosity the Big Bentley saloon was. Neither wonder it put WO into liquidation. I have driven one. You need to be superman to turn the steering wheel. Its very cumbersome to drive, ok it will touch ninety on a motorway at about 4mpg, It creaks like an old boat, you cant park it unless you have a warehouse and
unless you spend close to 1m$ you are not likely to get near a Concourse De Elegance. Even then the french and dare I say Americans were at the peak of their coachbuilding so it looks very dated beside the more exotic machinery of the day. It may be nostalgic (British) tractor engineering but it serves no purpose. Its an expensive folly that will give some new owner (probably under 5' ) a feeling of masculinity.
When WO went to earn his crust at RR, he had an involvement of sorts with the Derbys. What wonderful cars they are and some of the bodywork produced is exquisite. A light lovely sports saloon, easy to drive and park, lively performance with near 100mph on tap and still you got over 20mpg. All of the successful British racing drivers , speed record holders had one as their everyday transport . Even Bira had a few. Eddie Hall campaigned them sucessfully. A far cry from the 8 litre truck that in my book at over £300k should be nearer £75k. A few brave men have tried to knock them into specials and using the 3 litre chassis a few managed to construct some rapid specials but they are only specials that other than the BDC sprints cannot get an entry now at any events.
Love stirring it up.