View Single Post
Old 7 May 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3070844)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
1985 in Thunderloons
I don't recall if Whizzo was still involved by the time I saw it (and I seem to have lost the race programme), but I think the 240RS in Thundersaloons might have been around for at least couple of seasons- I'm sure the only time I saw it was at Silverstone, at one of those GM Dealers-sponsored Thundersaloon meetings, which would have been 1986 or even 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
. There were a lot of these in Ireland and as can be seen from above, many/most of them had Northern Ireland registration plates. .
That's a thought- as you say, most of the UK-based 240s (and a few of the European ones) seem to have had Northern Ireland, or occasionally Isle of Man, registrations. There were only a handful with 'mainland' plates as I remember- I noticed Terry Kaby in PVV646Y in one of those RallyRetro pics:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...rRally1985.jpg

I suspect there was presumably some kind of tax or Type Approval reason for them not being registered on the mainland? (In a similar vein, didn't a lot of the David Sutton Audi UK Quattros have IoM plates?)

Last edited by KA; 7 May 2012 at 20:50.