View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3398458)   #42
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Grant, I am getting Error 500 using IE 9 on Win 7 as well with the 1st link, but no problems at all with the 2nd one.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that feedback. There seem to be some rather random events occurring.

My Firefox seems to be mostly, but not entirely, OK.

My IE installations the opposite.

Tests on phone applications seem to work.

Not all links are affected. However even browsing to the site and drilling down through the menus is not error free.

I've asked my web site chappie if there are any server logs he has access to that might point us towards what is happening.

It may be some sort of nth party security checking issue from the depths of the web that is presenting an invalid report of a dodgy certificate (or something) that then gets reported as a generic server error dependent on the routing of the connection. My man told me the story a few years back of a client email system (central to their operation) that went AWOL for a few days.

It turned out that the cause was a 'report' of a dodgy alleged spam server from a blacklist site in Germany. The IP adress lsited just happened to co-incide with a BT server that was rather central to WEB operations for many customers in Essex and East Anglia.

What no one had thought about was that the German security risk list was on a server that had been switched off for years and was totally out of date. Someone had switched it back on without considering the consequences - possibly without realising its original use and importance. Any anti spam settings that referenced the server would have been getting nothing for years when it was switched off and no one would have thought about such a sudden reintroduction of an un-monitored and out of date list.

Well, not for a few days at least - which is how long it took to stumble across the root cause of the problem.

The joys of modern life.

None of which has anything at all to do with the SR&N Motor Sport weekend. Other than, perhaps, expecting the unexpected.