View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2001, 13:43 (Ref:102242)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My previous car was a 1993 Honda Civic VTi, which I owned for 10 weeks before I chopped it in for my current Saab. I bought the car because I needed a set of wheels a.s.a.p. and it was cheap.

Its rev happy nature which was fun initially soon turned to frustration at its poor cruising ability (90mph@5000rpm) and the fact that it went like a bomb above 6000rpm but was rubbish below that, it was just like driving a car with very bad turbo lag, the power band in 1st gear started around 25mph. It also wasn't that economical, I averaged around 35mpg, not that much more than my current Saab (2.3litre turbo).

Of the cars I've owned the reasons for changing are:

1) 1986 Peugeot 205 1.1l, owned for the year I was on industrial placement whilst at university (1993), couldn't afford to run a car (and didn't need to) whilst a student so sold it.
2) 1990 Mini Cooper, first car when leaving uni, ran as daily driver for 18months (1995-6), decided to buy a proper car as I could afford to, still half own, now modded for hillclimbs etc.
3) 1993 Saab 900LPT, (1996), ran for 18mnths, perfectly reliable, upgraded when I could afford a...
4) 1995 Subaru Impreza Turbo, ran for 6mnths until it got written off (not my fault)
5) Honda Civic (see above)

Perhaps when I'm in a position (both financially and logistically) to own more than one car, I'll be able to have cars ideally suited for various 'tasks' eg. one for commuting to work, one for towing, one for early morning blasts, one that you can leave parked in the roughest part of town without caring if it is there when you return etc.