View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2007, 06:39 (Ref:2057448)   #24
edholly
Rookie

Australia
sydney
edholly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hulme's car for Boxing day meeting Brands Hatch

As part of my ongoing research into FJ-9-63 I have spoken to a New Zealander, Wayne Rogers who lives in Auckland, but is not on the internet unfortunately.

Wayne owned FJ-4-63 for a time, and was at a race meeting around 1982 with this car. Also at this meeting was Denny Hulme.

Wayne tells me that Denny wandered over to the car and looked into the cockpit and upon seeing the chassis plate there, said to Wayne, in company with Peter Bruin and Terry Holthon ....

"Ah good old chassis no 4, this was the car that I used at Brands Hatch in 196? in the snow. I removed my engine and gearbox from my red car and put it into this spare chassis and ...

... the question mark is because Wayne thought he said 1963, but on reflection Wayne agreed it must have been 1962.

I believe that the last of the BT2s was on a boat about to leave for Australia, so one would have to imagine that the BT6s were already under construction around the end of December, why Denny chose chassis 4 one could, I guess, never be sure, but one thing I reckon you could be sure about is that he would remember the car he drove there.

It was this drive that really then brought about the invite to have the works drive in Formula Junior(chassis 9) in 63 and consequently launched Denny's career. Of course Chassis 4 went to Rodney Banting according to the archives, then Alan Bates before Bruce Harre bought it off Clive? Baker and shipped it to New Zealand for Graham Lawrence.