View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2745903)   #25
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as ERAs (and the like) are concerned the owners are privileged to be invited to so many events both here and abroad that they can/have to be very fussy about how many events they support so on that premise the halcyon days of the Seaman Trophy at Oulton Park will never be recreated. Add to that the cost of running a supercharged pre war racing car (particularly if you aren't an engineer) and you can see the problem.

However I don't think JR is referring to single seaters but rather sports cars. I think the problem here is as time goes by the cars appeal to a different type of owner other than someone who wants one simply to race, not to mention the plethora of categories available to those with the means to go racing - this can only become more acute as more categories of car become "historic" and drivers often migrate to other more recent cars. Apart from that the present economic situation cannot be helping as "investors" seem to parking their cash in hard assets such as the finest cars forcing prices up.

I would suggest that the various groups involved such as the VSCC, Legends etc pool resources but that would involve a great many changes and I doubt it would work for all parties. Having said that I think John Guyatt has done a fantastic job with the VSCC "Set 3" (standard and modified sportscars) races and he deserves support though I have noticed a downturn in numbers this year.