View Single Post
Old 30 Mar 2004, 22:08 (Ref:924524)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The New Formula Ford "united" Championships

Ok - I have read about 2 races and been involved in one myself, I've seen a lot of information and comments made about the racing, so I thought I'd start this thread, but in my own comments and opinions, and hear the views of others. It will be interesting to see how my own/other peoples views change. This is not supposed to be an for or against thread just what I think and what others thing.

I'm actually talking about the new united front on the Formula ford championship and the king of Kents championship that is being run this year - and very professionally I might add. After participating in a race on Saturday I must say at the moment I am against the current new format (still willing to give it time which is why I said at the moment).

I really like the idea of all the championships playing to the same set of rules - I think thats great, however I think the new "national" classes and points system really devalues the racing.

A point was made on the SOM thread that Gavin Wills won 2 races and second in 1 yet is not really distanced from some lower down the field rivals, while this is good does it really reward Gavins achievments, in rights he should have a stronger than perhaps the middle of the championship table. Also rewarding all positions down to the end does not really punish you as hard as it should for a mistake, if you drop say down to 8th from first in the old points system that could well ruin your championship but with the new points it hardley makes a dent.

I also feel that with the new classes A-E that the overall win and class win is devaluated a little, this is mainly from a Combe point of view - if you came first, second or third overall it was an achievment (and still is) however when the announcments where made over the PA there was 4 class winners and a top 3, all in the top 3 a class A car won overall followed by a class B and C it detracted from the fact that the 3 class winners where acutally 1-2-3. It also makes it really hard to follow Combes championships of Pre/Post 90 years, eg: what difference does a Class D win make tot he pre 90 championship if it was 33 on the grid and didn't score any points in the Post 90 championship ? he won just by turning up, and vice versa the class A car that won was announced as a Class winner and overall winner - it simpley should have been an overall winner he was in an post 90 car and won the race, the end ! I personally feel it detracted from his win as there where only 2 class A's running.

Now for the king of kents - this championship table from your 3 best results, keeping in mind what I have said above seems pointless. The KOK should be (just for example) 3 stand alone races at 3 tracks as a little mini championship which is nothing to do or effecting the individual championship.

I feel the new rules and format has confused and devalued the racing thats going on within each local championship, however the bringing the rules together has brought the community and interest of the field of the sport together.

My final thoughts are....keep the 1 entry for all championships, go back to awarding points to the top 10 for example, run you local championships as just that local championships, have your own internal class structure for the championships and meet up for a grand race event or two called the King of Kents.
This is not bashing this is just my views, what do you all think ?