Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3144277)   #2631
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
If it is a BMW, I'm assuming it will be based off of the S65 V8 in the M3 (3999cc) & M3 GTS/Z4 GT3 (4361cc).

Does this spell the end for the Judd, which is based on the same engine? (FYI by rule, it doesn't have to, in theory multiple engines can be based on the same one) And who builds it? BMW's M division? Do they farm it out to someone like Dinan who already builds Grand-Am BMW DP powerplants?

...Or could the Bavarians be throwing us a little curveball and be thinking diesel???

Plus I'd like to see somebody big time take a stab at the Ford motor that Libra ran at Laguna Seca, seems like a good combination, if not in a not-so-good chassis.
Don't forget the costcapped nature of the engine. They are not allowed to cost more than 75000 for a whole season if I'm not mistaking. This would make entering a diesel or anything very new to expensive I'm afraid.
Expect the engine to be the same powerplant as the M3 GTE and the Z4 GT3 are running.
Dinan would be a unlikely engine builder because of their location. Wouldn't make any sense to use a DP engine builder when you got a load of GTE and GT3 engine developing talent in house now does it?