View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1676843)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I saw Mass demoing the Dodge at Eurospeedway - nice but it would only work with 30 - 40 of them - something SCSA has always lacked. Cars are overpriced and not good value for it. Another problem is that the car shapes are pretty meaningless in the EU, Ford Taurus, Dodge Charger and Chevrolet thingy none of which are on sale here.
I have mixed feelings about using US cars in Europe. The Ford Taurus, Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Monte Carlo are indeed meaningless to Europeans but they could rebadge them to Ford Mondeo, Dodge Caliber and Opel/Vauxhall Vectra (of course they have to change the headlights ). So IMO that's not a problem. Of course the shape of these cars don't look like European cars. I have always thought that would be a major problem in the acceptence of NASCAR (and oval racing in general). But I do no longer think that's the major problem because a full grid of big and noisy V8 cars is very impressive on itself. Also F1 has cars which do not look like road cars but is still very succesfull.

The major problem is to get a grid of at least 30 cars. Also getting good TV coverage and support of manufacturers and major sponsors will not be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
A WTCC or BTC oval race could be a lot of fun. But the best oval in these parts racing is still the NHRPA with its recognisable silohettes.
Something like V8Stars (didn't they have a race at Lausitz a few years ago?). Last week WTCC had a race at Puebla and they used half of the oval. I would love to see 25 of these WTCC cars at the full Puebla oval next year. But this is wishfull thinking.