View Single Post
Old 24 May 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2696996)   #11
limjamrace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
limjamrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from being reshelled the Imp in question uses the actual same running gear as it did in 1970-72...The straight edge block and the transaxle which is now deemed illegal due to no syncro!
I don't know who is/was responsible for homologation at the time (Chrysler were at no time involved with the brilliant Bevan team i believe) but it seems a case of non-foresight..
In another case in the different direction the chap with the Cooper S has the direct point...His car was never like the one in 1965!
It seems to me that only Fiat had the foresight to get it right with the likes of www.ScuderiaTopolino.com building such a legal homogated racer..Even down to having an opened rear engine lid to cover the exotic exhaust system!
Canny or what!
I wish Doc Knutson all the best in overcoming this problem. Perhaps a consultation with his engine supplier/worker Reggie Pattern may overcome this as he delves in transaxles as well as engines..
As for the 930 B1 block !
I would be concerned as to the use of this as it was introduced some time later and isn't really an original item..
Cannot understand the meaning of hard to come by straight edge blocks as in UK they are plentyful awaiting wet liner conversion..Cheap as well!
Yours David L .Llewellyn Imp Motorsport