View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2012, 00:17 (Ref:3026392)   #1274
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
If they wanted to put a nail into the "premier" category of motor sport and chase sponsors away then they couldn't have picked a better thing to do - not so smart people with egos ...........
Same thing happened with Newscorp's Super League back in the 90's - the ARL tried to stop the Super League from happening, took ages and heaps of money and ended up with both going ahead anyway. Then some years later it all amalgamated again but the Super League guys were in the driving seat.

I don't think there was as strong a case for a breakaway in that instance as there has been in the NZV8's with the frustration at TMC and their incompetence/neoptism, but I still ended up firmly in the Super League camp in the end.

Although I notice that VEEGA aren't trying to stop the V8ST's from going ahead, just trying to get a cut of their profits!

If common sense prevails (and that would be unusual in these circumstances) then the remaining few VEEGA directors would agree to jump over to the ST series in exchange for being given franchises for say, two years for free, rather than the $25k normally charged.

It would probably cost less than the fees the lawyers are going to make from the debacle, and would also make TMC superfluous (even more than they are already).