View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1587751)   #51
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That's some interesting history Jesper - I feel we may be getting closer to the identiy of that particular car. Kaj must've been doing well to keep Uklf Granberg at bay as he was certainly a leading Group A pilot at the time!

With reference to William Dale's earlier point about the early TWR Commodores' continuing chassis numbers on from the Rover's, that does make sense. I recall somebody somewhere mentioning something similar on another thread some time ago (can't find it anywhere though?)

The first TWR Holden was a wingless VL, I believe, which ran at one or two 1987 WTCC rounds in Europe (Nurburgring was one of them with Tom and Jeff Allam at the helm.) I suspect this car was the 'test hack' prior to homologating the crazy barn foor back wings, side skirts and massive front splitter on the VLSS/88!

I recall the BTCC organisers courting Tom to enter the early VL in some events in '87 and Jeff Allam was a possiblity for the GP support race (as indeed he might also have had the possibility of driving a sister Rover to Dave Carvell IIRC Dave?) Unfortunately it never did run, which was a shame as it would have added some extra punch to the season.

BTW any more news on the SD1 parked in Martin Thomas' field that Al mentioned?