Old 20 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2445750)   #14
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
and the owner of that car is the one who started this thread, so we could get confirmation
Yep, my car carries chassis number 100/67, however this is almost certainly incorrect.

The car had no chassis plate when it was discovered, but it was certainly Ed Costley's car which he took to 2nd in class, and 37th overall in the '61 Sebring 12 hours. He viewed the car during restoration, and wrote a letter detailing the modifications he made to the body for the 12 hour race. I also have a video taken from his home-movie of the event which stars my car, and the bottom of every pretty woman he saw through the lens

Ed says he bought it direct from Continental Motors in '59, and that it was a works car in that year, having run at Sebring. He also said that there were 2 for sale at the time, a blue one and a green one. He took the green one, which was in maintained better, and in better condition. Ed seemed to think that it was therefore the Frank Baptista car that took the class win at Sebring in '59, but that's not 100% sure. Frank's son and widow were guests of honour at it's first race after restoration, at Atlanta.

Unfortunately, during restoration,Mike Cammarata (the fine Georgia gentlemean that restored the car to it's former beauty) was advised by the experts of the time (mid-late '80s) that the car was chassis no 100/67, though it now seems that 100/67 may not have been a mk4 at all. The car is in fact certainly in truth either 100/71, /72, or /73. But which one? I'd be grateful of any help in this matter!

One day I'll put a Cov Climax back in it, repaint it in Continental Motors colours, and sort the chassis number out. Or maybe not.