View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2538143)   #18
bobwoodman
Rookie

bobwoodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva Mk 3,4,5

Just discovered you site.

I read with great interest about 100/67.

I worked briefly for Ed Costley at his small import repair shop in Tucker, Ga in 1983 before he went out of business and I went into business for myself.

I knew Ralph Whaley well, as he was an automotive machinist and did work for my shop, also in Tucker. He was also responsible for getting me involved in vintage sportscar racing in 1985.

I also knew Mike Cammarata, as he was a regular customer at my shop, with his Triumph GT6.

I went with Ralph to pick up the Elva4 he had bought, which was, as the lore correctly cites, literally stored behind a woodpile. What the lore leaves out is that the woodpile in question was in Ed Costley's back yard!

The car had indeed been modified to accept power other than a Climax, and was purported at that time to have been most recently powered by a 750 Monza engine. We moved the car to Ralph's house, and ultimately into his basement.

Ralph located and purchased an Alfa (1300?) engine which he planned to install, but the project really never got off the ground until Mike Cammarata bought it.

I saw the car a couple of times after Mike restored it at vintage races.

I was never privy to (nor interested in) the chassis number, so I can't shed any light on that issue.

Is Ed Costley still around? I was thinking about him tonight, that's what brought me to your thread.

I'm also the owner of a Mk6, #60/13.