View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2861139)   #49
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
Not really, there's a simple biological reason why Schumacher is wasting his time in F1. When someone keeps doing something from childhood, constantly and to the highest level they reach a level of ability that is partly innate skill, partly experience and partly a biological process that attunes their reflexes, muscle memory and the physical connections on neurons in the brain to that activity

when that person stops that pattern of behaviour for a long period, especially at the age MS stopped racing, the body detunes all of those things because it doesn't need them to be at that level anymore.

it is then virtually impossible to regain that high level of physical prowess, especailly if the activity in question is as demanding as F1 driving - and the older they are the more difficult it is.

if MS had never retired he would now still be a contender but the period he spent off the boil has ruined him i think
This is an interesting contribution; could you please explain some of the evidence behind this? I am curious to know to what level this is supposition and how much is known.

I don't think it is pure age per se. As you suggest, if he had not stopped he might be a lot better now.