Thread: The 12th team
View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3343195)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I thought Bernie only wanted 10 teams though? He seemed to be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of one of the two backmarer teams folding, not so long ago.
iirc there is a contractual requirement that 10 teams show up for each race.

is there a pattern here? do grid spots only open up if there is a legitimate fear that enough teams could fold as to drop the total number below 10?

the short notice and small window of the application process, less than a month to get it in, seems kind of odd to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Seems every rich guy in the world interested in motorsport is heading to Formula E and every manufacturer is entering in WEC and GT racing. Who has the interest and money to enter an F1 team now? Especially without a truly guaranteed budget cap.
good points. Formula E is new and untested (even gimmicky) but the substantially lower cost (3-4mil budget) and the a series of environmentally friendly and quiet street races (the kids will be talkin) in some of the biggest cities in the world (one race in LA is worth 10 in Austin imo) is a huge draw. maybe like A1GP this series fizzles out in a few years but so do most new teams in F1.

Branson's involvement in Formula E i think gives us a unique comparison point to see the which series is better for investors and sponsors going forward.