Thread: Photos/Art CYD WILLIAMS Painting
View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2002, 09:22 (Ref:355834)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks again guys. Yes, the search for reference took quite some time as most of the photos loaned to me by Cyd were old black & white pics. It's the small details, stickers etc that cause problems.
The car no.66 is a 1970 Royale RP9 Supervee. The race shown is at Hockenheim. I also painted another view of this car for another montage of the history of Royale. This was used for the cover of the book 'Nowhere to Hide' about the marque which was published last Autumn by Paul Lawrence.
The Hockenheim race caused quite a stir! Supervee was very much dominated by the German's in those days and Cyd went over with a British car and beat them at home. For the book, Paul interviewed Former Royale bosses Bob King and Alan Cornock. I quote:
" There was a good crowd and they were very nationalistic. The Kaimann's were the local contenders and when Cyd won the race it all went very quiet. All the trophies and so on were centred around the Kaimann winning. But we won and that really upset the applecart. Cyd got up on the podium and they played the national anthem and there were jeers from the stands. So Cyd, who is only about five foot tall, did a Nazi salut! They went mad. They were going to murder him and us. We had to sneak Cyd out of the circuit. Looking back, it's funny but at the time it wasn't."
This Royale painting is on my website under 'prints'.