View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3011158)   #2476
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
hi gwyllion, thanks for confirming the motor-generator weight, mine was an approximation at 20Kg, but 45Kg is obviously a very heavy piece of kit!........I'm pretty sure the F1 KERS systems are in the region of 20-30Kg, it was a rough comparison in all honesty.......... but the point still stands, the williams flywheel system is one heavy mo-fo........it will be interesting to see how they all compare, for sure I cant see pug and Toyotas systems being anywhere near as heavy
It is not clear to me to what extent Audi will use the Porsche/Williams system. Will they connect the electric motors to the front wheels or to the gearbox? Will they only use the flywheel battery or also additional components (electronics, electric motor/generators, ...)?

Personally I doubt that it will be connected to the front wheels, because there is not enough space in the nose.

One of the motivations for the V6 TDI engine was that it is short enough to fit a hybrid system between the engine and the gearbox. On the spy pictures from Sebring a bulge can be seen in the engine cover, presumably because this is where the flywheel is positioned: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/AudiR...2011-anon1.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
but at the nurburgring 24hr race they ran it between 28K-36K for safety reasons and were able to store 680KJ maximum.......the ACO rules state that only 500KJ can be applied (used) between braking events, so this williams energy storage system may be limited for LMP1 use, as its going to almost completley discharge between braking events........but perhaps thats ok???......who am I to say!!!
It makes no sense to recover and store more energy than you are allowed to release. So fully discharging the battery after every braking zone seems the way to go.

That means that the battery capacity should be only slightly bigger than 500 kJ. Coincidence or not, but the specification of the Flybrid CFT KERS quotes "540 kJ of storage"