View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1627031)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
hehe, well bob i forget to use full stops a lot so this next bit will be done with fullstops

interesting way to look at it is in that way, if they use upgraded LMP2 RS spyders as a base for their LMP1 car then when the works effort from porsche themselves is over top end privateer teams would pick up the pieces, champion, joest and potentiolly oreca if they do like they did with the R8 last year. it will be interesting though to see if penske ran the LMP1 team though, they would run the LMP2 works effort for a few years while porsche in germany would probably run the LMP1 effort.
what remains to be seen is if they do race a LMP1 car then what engine will they be using, they could use the 3.4 V8 out of the RS spyder and turbo it or they could also make a new engine, 5.0 V10 or maybe like the old days a 3.6 flat 6 bi-turbo but its all speculation at the moment and hopefully this will happen. its very likely this will happen in the next year or two so we just have to see were things are going to go from here.
The only quotes I've seen from Penske state see the ALMS program as a long term relationship and are competing in 2006 to develop the RS Spyder for customers.

I took this as meaning they'll move to out of P2 in 2007 and work on a P1.

I reckon we could see Penske running the ALMS program while the 'factory' Porsche team run in Europe against Joest Audi and Peugeot.