View Single Post
Old 6 Dec 2009, 17:39 (Ref:2594977)   #25
Alan Drysdale
Rookie

Alan Drysdale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crossle 6Fs

Great to see that David has acquired this car as I spoke to Don McCoin a few months back when he first advertised it. At the time I'd just commenced a piece of research to find how many of the 6Fs still exist as I have a particular interest in the ex McCardle and ex Davidson cars which I worked on in 1967 and 1970 respectively. Seven of the models were built in 1964/65 and the history to date for each is detailed below. Strangely only the only cars, I have not yet been able to determine their current/final resting place - yes you've guessed it the ex McCardle and ex Davidson cars. I have included the first owners in front of the relevant chassis numbers.
I've also been in regular dialogue with David over the past few weeks and have hopefully solved the 'C8 mystery'.
Roger Corry - C6/F64/14 - 1172 cc s/v Ford engine. Car badly damaged in Roger’s accident at Kirkistown in 1964, not rebuilt.
Jack Davidson - C6/F64/15 – 1172cc s/v Ford for 1964/65, then 1.5L Pushrod Ford 1966 in F’libre), Brian Cullen (1.5L Pushrod Ford 1967 in F’Libre), David Boal (1.6L F’ford 1969 - not known if car raced in 1968 or if there was another owner between Brian Cullen and David Boal. Brian does not remember who he sold car to), Jim McCleery (1.6L F’ford 1970 – car updated with 16F Bodywork and other 16F chassis modifications by Jim McCleery/Alan Drysdale), Roy Courtney (1.8?? Ford 1971 – raced in clubmans class), Maurice Stirling 1.6L <webered F’ford engine> 1972 in clubmans class).

History after Stirling currently being researched but other possible owners include Sean Harten, Martin Boyle and Alan Grundy who may have campaigned car in Hillclimbs and Sprints. Some indications that car may have gone to England in late 70’s/early 80s. Fate/current whereabouts of car unknown.

Bob Allen - C6/F64/16 - 997 Ford for F3, not a screamer!. Car not raced by Bob Allen and sold later in 1964 to Joe McCardle who campaigned it through to end 1966 season. Car sold to Ken Fildes early 1967. Ken never raced car and is now trying to remember who he sold it to. Joe McCardle believes car went to England. Fate/current whereabouts of car unknown.

Jim Sergeant - C6/F65/21 - (1172 s/v Ford). Car slightly damaged in Jim’s fatal accident at Kirkistown on 24th May 1965. Car in storage and unused in 1966/67. Car acquired by Tony Quinn and raced by his father, Barney, in Irish F’Ford races in 1968/69. History of car after this is currently being researched, but car was acquired a couple of years ago by Paul McMorran. Car may have been used in Hillclimbs and Sprints. When found car had been fitted with a 16F top body and non Crossle side panels. Car awaiting restoration.

Bruce Klussmann - C6/F65/22 - 1.1 Ford for USA FC. First Crossle to be exported to America. Car campaigned by Bruce 1965/66, then sold it to Gerald N Knezic. Knezic fitted car with NSU Aircooled engine. Car acquired by Benny ‘Don’ McCoin in 1969 and raced byDon initiallywith NSU power before he converted it to F’ford specification. Car dismantled by Don some years back with objective of converting car back to original specification. This project was not completed due to ill health and then death of Don’s engineer. Car advertised in July 2010 and has now been acquired by David Irwin who plans to undertake restoration.
John Dickson - C6/F65/23 - 1.5L or 1098cc Ford.Not sure if this car was ever raced by John. It was subsequently purchased by Roger Corry to replace C6/F64/14, but not raced by Roger either as he decided to purchase a Lotus Elan instead. Car was acquired by Ron Pringle from Eastbourne in 1966 and raced by Ron and Gerry Corbett in F3, F’Libre and Hillclimbs events in England in 1966/67. Ron and Gerry understood the car was fitted with a 1.0L engine when purchased, but a subsequent engine rebuild revealed it was a 1098cc motor. Car was dismantled and finally cut up c1968/1969 Ron and Gerry formed Pringett Mistrale to manufacture Formula Fords in 1969/70.
Stan Ryan - C6/F65/24 - 1.6 Lotus Ford T/C. Car badly damaged in Stan’s fatal accident at Kirkistown on 21st August 1965, not rebuilt.

On 2nd December 2009 I visited Crossles and checked original chassis number records. All 6F models built in 1965 were originally allocated C8/F65 as the first 7S sports car had been built.The ‘8’ has subsequently been stroked out and ‘6’ pencilled in when it was obviously decided to count the four cars built in 1965 as the continuation of the ‘6’ range. I believe this is the reason why the chassis plate on the ‘Klussmann car’ is prefixed C8. The chassis plate probably fitted for export and it may be the only 6F to have been plated in the period. I don‘t recall any chassis plates on the two cars (C6/F64/15 and C6/F64/16) that I worked on.