View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3392047)   #688
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I think we turn into lightweights as we get older. I used to do that mileage twice a week to just south of Florence, exactly 1000 miles. I used to get an afternoon ferry to Calais, park up in Saint Omer and start off about 8 the following morning. I normally reached Prato by 6am the following morning just in time for the agent collect the paperwork for customs clearance.
Customs control at Ventimiglia was normally taken care of with some Gitanes and 10 Francs. The Gendarmes at Mont Blanc were a bit stricter hence the additional 400 miles to the journey.
The worst part of the journey would be when you got near to Genoa as you'd be so tired you'd start hallucinating, I think you'd need an Irish registered truck with two or three driver cards to do that now.
Tim, you sound like a guy my dad used to work with - them trips to Italy wasn't hauling so called 'antique furniture' was it?

Last edited by Tim Falce; 14 Apr 2014 at 17:29. Reason: Sorry, I've edited the quote due to a *******ing from a family member
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang