View Single Post
Old 18 May 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2882367)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm not really sure if i understand why the fia keep moving to ban new innovative uses of things like exhaust gases in this way. what genuine innovations that have been pioneered either by one team or another have actually been allowed to hang around for longer than a single season at most? isn't it one of the raisons d'etre of f1, to develop new ways of making cars work? if you take out all that sort of thing then all you're left with is a spec formula.

i don't buy the cost saving principle either. by the time the fia bans it many if not all teams have already chucked money and people at it to try and develop their own alternative for something that's immediately obsolete.

You are absolutely right "all you're left with is a spec formula."

Not only this but clear bias when they allow things like double diffusers and then not a clear innovation like the front exit exhaust and blown diffuser.

We hear heart rending stories about why they cannot cull the elephant or go to bigger wheel rims or wider tyres, and then they feel free to trash someones innovation with no notice. The Renault must have significant compromises in its set up to allow the front exit exhausts and blown diffuser, how can they compensate for the loss of this device when they are unable to change the chassis during the course of the year.

Surely these devices were cleared with Charlie Whiting the FIA delegate before the season started.

P.S. Virgin and HRT are not racing anyone, so virtually any legislative change has no bearing on them. A simple notice that x will not be allowed next season should suffice.