View Single Post
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1801071)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, in a brilliant decision on Renault's part, they decided to partner with AMC. At the time, the only thing AMC made that anyone really wanted was the Jeep. But yes, the Alliance was made here while the Le Car and the Fuego (a neat little car actually) were imported. At least I am pretty sure the Fuego was.

The RS series was a hotbed of home-grwon racers. Guys like Jim Downing got their feet wet in that era. I had almost forgotten Joe Varde!

What I liked best was that these were just regular cars - not ones that you had to pay $35K to get (see a BMW 3 Series) and then "convert" it to a race car. Nothing like hearing a Mazda RX 3 go by with those ridiculous tuned exhaust systems - you could go deaf if you got too close - literally!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.