View Single Post
Old 7 May 2004, 10:09 (Ref:963280)   #6
Slayer
Rookie

Slayer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that one-make championships are good in the short term for competitors and the chosen racing car manufacturer alike. However I believe that, in the long term, they are destroying the racing car manufacturing industry in this country.

When a one-make championship falls out of favour with the competitors or the supporting production car manufacturuer, for example, where does that leave the racing car manufacturer? His short-term gain and steady income for a few years has now disappeared and he goes with it, due to the onslaught of one-make series that he doesn't have a contract for and the lack of series that allow more than one manufacturer.

Reynard had a similar situation to this with the Premier1 debacle. A lot of money invested in it was spent for nothing when the series never happened. A proposed entry into F3000 that may have helped the company couldn't happen due to the one-make contract the FIA had with Lola.

Now, this may apply more to national level racing than club-level stuff but where do you draw the line between those two? Plus, in series like hillclimb, a lot of the technology and components filter their way down from national motorsport. Soon there aren't any car manufacturers in the country and then where do competitors obtain the essential part of motor racing?

I intend to start a racing car manufacturing business very shortly for club-level motorsport. I would like to believe that in the future, I could expand to a national level but when I think objectively and look upon the market in its current state, I don't think that it will be possible. That explains why I am so bitter and twisted about this particular issue .

Last edited by Slayer; 7 May 2004 at 10:11.