View Single Post
Old 13 Jun 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2898468)   #121
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
I remember a comment from Davidson when he first moved to Peugeot from AMR saying that if there was more money spent on the development of the aero and a bit of the engine then the petrols would be competitive. I can't find a link at the moment.
I think a well-funded petrol effort can be competitive. The ex-factory HPD ARX-01e certainly showed a lot more pace than other petrol cars at Sebring. It's really only fair to compare factory efforts to factory efforts and we really don't have any factory petrol efforts to make fair comparisons (I'm not counting the AMR-One).

I think the problem petrol teams are facing is that it is harder to make significant gains with racing petrol engines than it is with racing diesel engines right now. Lots of people have been working hard on squeezing performance out of petrol racing engines for decades, but racing diesels are still fairly new (yes, there have been diesels racing for decades, but certainly not to the scale of petrol engines) and it's possible to make significant jumps in just a few months.