Thread: Back home...
View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2002, 15:55 (Ref:315476)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Back home...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
-Third (news) : Paul Collins won withour any discussion the "how many laps" contest, with a gap of 1 lap (!!! applause !!!). I feel very humiliated to be so far
Again posting about this in the wrong thread, 'cos the right one is closed...

I heard on speed TV that Audi were going for the outright distance record. That was my rationale for choosing 376, as I didn't think they'd be able to touch the Jaguars or 917s records (pre Mulsanne chicanes).

FWIW, in 1993 the Peugeot went 375 laps, but the track was shorter - 13.600 km vs 13.880 today. So their distance was 5100 km. Audi went 5205 km in this race. In fact all three of their cars broke the distance record (post-Mulsanne chicanes).

I don't think it has the cache of saying they broke the all-time distance record (for marketing purposes), because how's a punter to know about Mulsanne? But quite an accomplishment nonetheless.
to Audi.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James