View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1416628)   #75
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I don't see how you can say GP2 attracts big crowds when they go for the F1.
Yes but I think a huge number of people would still turn up for GP2 races too providing there was a decent support package. WSBR attracts big crowds after all, yes I know that a lot of the tickets for WSBR are given away free but theres still quite a few paying fans, and yes the tickets are free but the fans still make the effort to show up and lets face it depending on where you live it still costs quite a bit to get to and from races, free tickets or not.

That being the case I dont see any reason why GP2 woudnt attract big crowds, the driving talent is as good as what we have in A1 GP IMO if not a bit better. After all GP2 has top drivers like Kovalinen, Carroll, Pantano and Jani, none of whom are in A1 GP. Just because GP2 lives in F1's shadow doesent mean it woudnt attract big crowds especially if promoted as heavily as A1 GP has been. Put any series alongside F1 and the other series will inevitably live in F1's shadow.

GP2 has IMO superior drivers and the overall team levels are about the same between the 2 series, although the GP2 cars will be signifcantly faster in 2006 thanks to the series switching to slick tyres.