View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3012951)   #1458
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I first thought they were using a different course to avoid the climbing esses, which would be a shame, but taking away the full back stretch to add a run through the auto cross infield course is a shame. Perhaps they are concerned about the speeds at the end of the back stretch???

To make the infield a little more interesting, perhaps they could throw in a dirt section and a couple of jumps.

I do like Pumpelly's comments.

Oh well, one of the great American circuits; glad to see them heading there, and there is still plenty of time for all of us to gripe and moan until race day. Maybe they'll listen.
I'm sure that terminal speed on the back stretch is what it is about and I wouldn't call the "infield" part an autocross course, that's an inaccurate characterization in my view. I can see going over that hump in the back stretch in an LMP car would have some drivers leave a starfish in the seat of their race suit.

The last bend of the Spiral is tight, but after that they should be able to carry some speed all the way back up to the top of the hill near the roller coaster. It's a nice sequence and even better than sequence of turns 3,4,5,6.

I think people are making it out to be a bigger deal than it is. I'd rather drive the Grand course than the Full course. I find it befuddling people are gritching about it when the whole section included on the Grand course is fun to drive.