View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2865937)   #1217
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That would of course mean two turbos, albeit in one package (hybrid of sequental turbo and VTG?)...

In broad details, it reminds me of the Toyota Supra inline 6 and Ford Powerstroke arrangement with two seq. turbos, but they didn't have VTGs. And we don't know if the ACO or IMSA would declare it to be legal, but that's probably been addressed--If Audi has a similar system, it would have to be legal as I don't think that they'd be testing it if it weren't.

Hopefully, some photos of the engine/rear end of the car will come out of the test day--Peugeot tried to keep photogs at bay, but Marshall pulled through with photos of the Pug's engine. The recent Fourtitude article wasn't much help, as Baretzky didn't get into specifics and Audi didn't want them to photograph the car with the rear deck/nose removed. However, Audi didn't want them to get photos of the cockpit, and they got some decent ones of the dashboard and steering wheel.

Hopefully we'll learn more at the test day. However, I can't see Audi running just one turbo unless it's a VTG, and this seems to be a plasable system that they could be using.

Edit: It does look like it's two turbos in one housing. So what should we call it: Single-twin turbo?