View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2934721)   #24
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The whole point of racing and a lot of other sport disciplines (cycling, running, swimming, rowing, ...) is to finish first at the end of the race. Points for pole, fastest race laps, position after 1/4 or 1/2 race distance, etc. don't match with the spirit of endurance racing.

In fact, this idea reminds me of the stupid super rally rule where you could crash, return the next day and still score points.
I tend to agree. You don't get points for leading after the 1st and 2nd period of a hockey game. You don't get tiebreaking boxscore points for leading a basketball or gridiron football game after 3 quarters. And so on. Just like in any other form of racing, you only get points if you finish, or at least where you place at the finish (excluding any bonus points for pole or leading the most laps, etc.). The winner (or finishers in this case) grab all the marbles. The checkered flag = pay day, not the 6 hour mark.

I guess changing the point structure for the Le Mans 24 Hours would not be a huge deal as nobody really cares about points as it is at Le Mans even though it is a double points event (except for the race losers looking to change the direction of the discussion), but at the same time, why change things just for the sake of change? Is the race too boring for you guys? Is the championship too boring? If the former is true, I don't think changing the point structure is going to do much. If the latter is true, I say hang on! We have not even seen how the ILMC championship will play out.