Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2024, 01:58 (Ref:4204417)   #4291
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trouble in the land of 2026 technical regulations. As the cars are going to have a lesser ability to maintain high speeds on long straights (as they can today) given the 2026 engines that run out of "oomph" once the battery power has been used up, they needed the 2026 cars to have much less drag to maintain parity to current cars. So the plan was to incorporate an enhanced DRS like active aero solution and it was to be focused on reducing drag via the rear wing.

Apparently there is a baseline example 2026 computer model (named the "Fangio") that has been provided for teams to run in their simulators. What this has revealed is that with the active aero enabled on the rear wing, it removes so much rear downforce that the cars are difficult to drive with the rear wheels loosing traction easily. And that to drive the cars safely you have to go so easy on the throttle that the cars end up being slower than F2. So it is back to the drawing board as they are trying to find a combo solution for both front and rear wings to reduce drag but not upset the balance so much and prevent drivers from being able to put the power down.

The first time I read this, I was thinking... I can imagine some might like this. Because it would create cars that can easily overpower the rear wheels at most any moment. This brings back the "no aero F1" debate with the realization that low or no aero F1 results in VERY slow cars.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ings/10596682/

Richard