View Single Post
Old 19 May 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2882511)   #172
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
I think for any bodyshells other than the Holden or the Fords there probably will need to be some form of manufacturer support, mainly due to the huge development costs that I would suspect would be involved with making a unique/new car.

If you're using Commodore or Falcon like most/all of the field it'll probably be *much* cheaper to run, with the ability to source parts from a central supplier (or make them yourself I guess?) wheras if they were running an A6 they'd have to build their own bodyshell and have their own stock of spares that will quickly eat into any cost benefits of the 'cheaper' V8 ST's.

Not that I don't want to see other brands in there, but I just can't see anyone doing it if they're the ones who have to pay for it
I think this is where there may be some confusion, there shouldn't be any 'huge' costs as it's just panels - No Body Shell required. It's simply a matter of fitting the Manufacturer X body panels to the control chassis and making the aero kit (this is where there would be some expense for moulds etc?). There wouldn't be any difference to mechanical spares as every car is the same under the skin as far as it seems. The different spares a team would carry would be exterior panels. In one of the videos on the website (the dyno one) it is mentioned that "the chassis doesn't know what body it's wearing.." I take this to mean every car is the same as far as chassis and mechanicals go, so theoretically a car built as a Ford could be transformed into a Holden....or an Audi....or a Toyota or a......??? This is my read from the info available maybe someone can correct me?