View Single Post
Old 25 May 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2885856)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Updating the stats after Turkey and Spain. There are 5 graphs, but they are gifs relatively light weighted. If there is any problem viewing them, please tell me.

Drivers:

Teams:

And now, in a graph way. Firstly, grid positions of every driver in each GP. I have accented the main drivers.

Drivers grid positions:

Average positions are interesting because they tell how relative position between drivers are consolidating as GPs pass by.

Drivers average grid positions:

One can see how drivers are pretty neatly arranged in three groups: 8 top drivers, then a gap, then 10 middle drivers, then another gap and finally the six bottom drivers. (In fact where I say "driver" I could say "driver/car" for car performance is a main cause of driver's result).

Now the same for teams, average grid positions.

Teams average grid positions:

More or less, a bit more roughly than in drivers case, three sets can be appreciated: 4 top team (2 "super-top" and two more), 5 "middle class" teams and three low teams (2 prettty low and Lotus trying to escape).

Interestingly drivers and teams groups are not totally correlated. The 8 top drivers are not exactly from the top 4 teams; there are two exceptions: Schumacher is in a (so called) top team, but he is in the middle group of drivers, and Petrov is not in one of the top teams but he is in the upper group of drivers.

Petrov case could be due to two reason: (1) he is doing a very good job AND (2) Heidfeld is behaving erratically, pushing Renault artificially low in the teams table, flattering, as a result, Petrov's results.

I have a bit more data, but let's leave this at this point, this post is already large.