View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1069233)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I knew Jim from Hot rodding , he won't remember me though. I had the honour of whopping him and the whole of the Spedworth Boston boys, Grimers etc. at a Hotrod meeting in Boston years ago in a little 1380 Mini on 10" rims. Mind you I have got to add this to the tale, I was a Red Top at my home track and should have started from the back of the grid but on the day had towed a novice White Top who had never raced, up to the circuit and was helping him out for the day as I had aquired the car for him. Anyhow he was about to climb in the car for the first race and he got an attack of the nerves and asked me to stand in for him, so I grabbed his helmet and overalls and went out to the front of the grid where I held the lot of them off for the whole race and won. Joke was he got his nerve back for the next heat only to be thrown off the grid when he lined up as the start marshall recognised he was not the first driver, he furiously beckoned me over and I did the honours again and won the heat. I went out in the final and I think I was just pipped to the post by one of the Grimer's but wow what a meeting and the Motoring News did a great story and photo which I still have but the killer was they heaped all the praise on my young friend who had bottled out of the drive!