View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2999651)   #73
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Fully agree with you on this point.

I still can't see why the GRC is drawing as much hate from a lot of the old guard as it is. Some elements of it have obviously been tweaked for a different audience, but the fundamentals are still the same. Without the initial X-Games/US interest in rallycross a couple of years ago I wonder if we would have a Monster backed UK driver in the ERC and a Best Buy sponsored car in the BRC (and hopefully ERC) next year...
Is it so great that Monster back Liam? With all the distractions that come with sponsorship there was little doubt Liams driving took a step backwards this year. Also with him spending so much time in the US (getting him to the superprix was very much a last minute twist of the arm) how long before he turns his back on the ERC & the UK?

The problem and I know this is a selfish opinion is those of us who follow the ERC, and I dont just mean an annual trip to Lydden, fear that the championship is being weakened by the draw of the US dollar. What other reason could Holte have for going when he had a good chance of winning his first title in 2012?

Maybe in the long term it will be good if it really takes off and interest grows worldwide but i would not be surprised to see the Global thing go the same way as many past motorsport fads have and disappear as quick as it came. Problem is how many european drivers who take that route will come back to europe and race having been used to getting paid to race?