View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3030109)   #17
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I'm pretty sure the manufacturers (and especially Audi who aren't exactly new to the scene) know very well that endurance racing is a hard product to sell on TV so I don't really think they had spectacular expectations to begin with.
The ALMS partners know that if they want quality TV coverage, they are going to have to pay for it to make it happen. Fortunately, Porsche NA, Corvette, Michelin, Yokohama, and a few others make things happen. I guess WEC partners aren't so willing, but buying airtime across the globe probably isn't an easy or desirable task.

Quote:
Regarding the US, it's hardly the WEC's fault that there is not enough interest in sports car racing to warrant tv coverage. If you look at the horrible TV coverage the ALMS is getting despite being a national series and having much shorter races, I really don't see how anybody could expect a mega TV deal for 6hr races... the interest just isn't there.

But I'm sure it's somehow the ACO's fault that Bob in Iowa doesn't care about sports car racing enough..
Grand-Am has most of their races live on TV. Ok, that might be because of who Grand-Am knows and not because of the racing demand itself. Still, it's not like the ACO is helping the ALMS pull any strings with the media here. Maybe it helped them get on Motors in Europe, but the ACO does not seem too keen on Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Silverstone & Zhuhai worked flawless for me though.
Zhuhai was a mess. You must have been the only one who did not have problems then. DailyMotion was on and off all race long, one of the Audi streams died midway through and I don't think it ever came back. There was a more obscure Audi stream that still worked though. I don't know about the Peugeot stream, but the Peugeot stream wasn't worth much anyway. Who wants to see constant video of some French woman who makes Danica Patrick look well endowed pulling camera cable and eating sandwiches for many minutes during the race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Of course, there's no news on WEC coverage--I'd assume that the EU would get it on Eurosport, but I think that NA will be in the dark aside from Sebring (ESPN on ALMS contract) and Le Mans (Speed LM24 contract).
ILMC highlights were supposedly on Speed2, Speed's Internet ISP subscription channel. Of course, Speed2 is completely useless. Very few ISPs subscribe to it and it's not well publicized. It makes ESPN3 look like ABC in comparison. More people probably watched ILMC highlights on RacefansTV (or whatever the new name of it is) than on Speed2. Perhaps WEC highlights will be on those Internet outlets again this year though.